Often times, we at EntirelyPets discuss the importance of guarding your pet's health. This time around, we're going to cover the health of your pet as well as yourself - particularly with the benefits of SAMe.
| What is SAMe? What are its benefits?|
As a refresher to your memory, SAMe (s-adenosyl-methionine) is an antidepressant commonly used by humans that has other health benefits. Here, we have a breakdown of what SAMe can do for humans as well as pets.
|Humans ||Pets |
| || |
- Decrease symptoms of depression by increasing availability of neurotransmitter serotonin and dopamine.
- Decrease pain of osteoarthritis as effectively as NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication).
- Decrease symptoms of liver disease by normalizing liver enzyme levels and help with cholestasis.
- Common side effects include digestive complaints (nausea), skin rashes and lowered blood sugar. It is recommended to consult your physician prior to use.
- Promote Glutathione, a natural antioxidant that helps regenerate liver cells, aiding liver health and function.
- Helps the liver break down toxins and free radicals.
- Produces feel-good neurotransmitters that improve moods.
- Reduces pain, stiffness, and inflammation derived from joint problems and arthritis
- Has no known side effects.
|Signs Your Pet May Need SAMe|
|As with all health problems, early notice and prevention is the key to minimizing the symptoms. Although difficult, you can look for these warning signs of possible liver problems. |
- Eating pattern changes: your pet may lose his or her appetite or begin vomiting; diarrhea and fatigue may also occur.
- High rate of enzymes: regular blood tests can show unusually high levels of liver enzymes indicating signs of liver problems.
- Abnormal blood-clotting tests: if you think your pet ingested poison (Arsenic in rat poison and anti-freeze), canine poisoning prevents normal blood-clotting.
|Other Ways to Keep Your Pet's Liver Healthy |
|Your pet's liver health reflects how well you keep up with their overall health. Here are a few major areas to consider in keeping your pet happy and healthy. |
- Veterinarian visits: nothing is more important than bringing your pet to see a vet regularly.
- Diet: having a balanced and well-nourished diet not only keeps the liver healthy, it makes your pet feel energetic and happy.
- Nutritional supplements: the food you feed your pet doesn't always carry the nutrients and vitamins your pet needs. Supplements can help your pet's organs function well; results can show through the coat and skin of your pet.
- Exercise: taking your pet out for activities keeps them entertained, maintains their strength and agility, and gives you time to bond with your best friend.
| || |
|S Adenosyl (SAMe) ||Denestra |
| || |
|Denosyl ||Marin |
| || |
|Visit our Liver Support Supplements page for our full selection of liver supplement products for pets. |
|To learn more about pet liver health, read about The Dangers of Sugar Substitutes and Alfatoxin in Pet Food. Visit our Pet Resource Center for a full range of pet health topics. |