The Strangest Things That Pets Eat
Human Medication- Be careful to keep your medicine out of the reach of your pet.
Insecticides – They are made to be poisonous and should never be within reach of your pets at any time.
Veterinary Medications – They can be dangerous to your pets if not taken as prescribed.
Plants may seem harmless but some pets like to gnaw on anything within reach. Some house and yard plants can prove to be poisonous like lilies and poinsettias.
Rodenticides – Made to be poisonous for rodents and should only be placed in small areas where your pets can’t fit but a rodent can. Most rodenticides contain anticoagulants to cause fatal bleeding. They can also cause paralysis, seizures and kidney failure.
Household Cleaners – Can easily be within reach of your pets, especially bleaches, detergents and disinfectants. They can cause eye and skin irritation.
Chocolate- Humans love it but it contains caffeine-like substances known as methylxanthines that, even in small doses, can cause elevated heart rate, seizures. vomiting, diarrhea, panting, and a collapse of the entire nervous system in dogs and cats.
Chemical Hazards - You might not think of petroleum based products, alcohols, acids and gases. They can cause skin irritation, and if inhaled can cause excitability, depression, pneumonia, liver and kidney damage.
Physical Hazards – Small objects can be eaten and cause choking, intestinal obstruction or other physical injury
Home Improvement Products – During home improvements, be aware of left open paint cans , solvents, glues and other products used in construction.
Cold Medications with Pseudoephedrine – Can increased body temperature and elevated heart rate.
Thyroid Hormones – These meds can cause elevated heart. Any of these substances can have serious health consequences. When it comes to protecting your dog or cat, remember to safely store away all potentially harmful items. Exercise not only caution, but common sense.