Dogs are more resistant to the toxic aspect of avocados (persin) than most other mammals, but it can still cause gastrointestinal upset (upset stomach). Eating the leaves and skin of the fruit can increase the amount of persin ingested, and the avocado pit can be a choking hazard.
It's better to be safe than sorry. Avoid giving your dog avocado and try to make sure avocado trees are not within reach in your backyard and the surrounding property where your dog roams.
If your dog does ingest some avocado, they will most likely be fine. Only two dogs from an old case report were reported developing myocardial damage from avocado ingestion. Thus, dogs are relatively resistant to persin compared to other mammals, which have much more intense reactions.
Still, make sure to monitor your pup after they have ingested avocado. And if you're feeling worried, don't hesitate to give your vet a call to make sure they will be alright.
Want to know more? Here's the longer answer:
The Longer Answer
Avocados have been eaten safely by humans for thousands of years, but they can reek havoc on many mammal's intestinal systems.
Animals like cattle, goats, horses, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, sheep, chickens, turkeys, and fish are susceptible to myocardial damage through avocado ingestion. But what is causing this?