1. Home > 
  2. Pet Blog | EntirelyPets Blog > 
  3. Signs and Symptoms of Dog Poisoning: Everything You Need to Know

Signs and Symptoms of Dog Poisoning: Everything You Need to Know


Your dog is not always fluffy and happy all the time. There are some instances where they grow weak and weary.

They are just like us. Their immune systems are not always impregnable. Sooner or later, they will suffer from illnesses. During those points, we have to be by their side. We have to usher the proper attention and care that our furry buddies need.

As a dog owner, you should be aware that your dog is also susceptible to poisoning. That is a deleterious predicament that has killed some dogs already. Well, we can say that dog poisoning is rare, but it is always in the realm of possibility. In fact, you should realize that there are a lot of factors that could expose your beloved pet to these unwanted toxins.

Poisoning in Dogs Signs and Symptoms Image

Causes of Dog Poisoning

Your dog can get poisoned by consuming unclean or toxic items. It is an absolute fact that any veterinarian would tell you.

A plethora of instances can expose your pet to such a dire situation. If you have a grubby surrounding, there is a good chance that somewhere along there, a toxic material could be lurking. For example, mushrooms and leakage waste from radiators could be sniffed and licked by your dog.

These toxins can also get transmitted through skin absorption. That’s why it is quite hard to catch the culprit once your dog starts getting sick and morbid. Some insects can also induce lethal dosages of poison.

Signs and Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

Always remember that not all poisons are the same. Their severity or lethality varies, depending on several factors. One of these is the amount of toxic material that entered into the dog’s system. Meanwhile, some toxins have a long-term effect. They don’t pop out immediately after entering the dog’s body. Instead, they build-up over time, especially if there has been continuous exposure.

The latter is a dangerous situation since the symptoms don’t appear instantly. One might even attribute the weariness that your dog feels to some other illnesses, or to the wrong medication, which could be fatal in some cases.

But for some toxins, their effects are immediate. Once you can spot these symptoms, you might want to consider taking your dog to the nearest veterinarian.

Here are some of the symptoms that you should be wary of:

Dog at vet

Appetite Loss

Your dog loves food. They are creatures that like to munch on almost anything.

If there is a sudden breakage of this habit, you should start worrying already. Of course, you can attribute their loss of appetite to other illnesses as well. Unless you are a professional vet, there is no way for you to tell why your dog doesn’t want to eat his favorite eagle pack dog food.

If your dog skips one meal and eats the next one, this should not worry you. But if he or she doesn’t want to eat at all, even your fur baby’s favorite snacks, you may want to head to your local vet to have them checked out.

Drooling

Dogs do drool. But if they do it too much, then your dog might not be feeling well. Specifically, drooling is the first sign of nausea. But excessive drooling could also be attributed to poisoning. That should alarm you when your dog’s mouth starts foaming. It is crucial that you rush your dog to the vet for immediate treatment.

Diarrhea

Diarrhea is an apparent sign that there is something wrong in the body of a dog. Even us humans experience diarrhea if we suffer from indigestion or if we have eaten bad food. For dogs, diarrhea is a malignant symptom. The reason for this is due to the possibility of internal bleeding. You can even observe that their stool appears to have a green or black coloration.

If there is diarrhea, it is a good indicator that their body is trying to pass the harmful toxins that have invaded their system.

Vomiting

Just like diarrhea, vomiting can happen with or without blood residue. Some poisons like the Warfarin (a rat poison) can induce internal bleeding if consumed. If your pet frequently vomits, take some samples and give it your vet. Through the specimen, they can determine the real cause of the vomiting.

I know several pet owners that force their dog to vomit if they see that they’ve consumed a poisonous material or toxin. Let me tell you that this is the wrong move. You cannot just compel your dog to vomit unless your veterinarian permits it. Otherwise, further harm could get inflicted on the dog. It is best that you know what has poisoned your dog before performing any treatment steps.

Lethargy

The weakness of your dog can become attributed to many causes. But it could also be a warning sign that your dog is under the influence of a deadly toxin. In some cases, the poison could have inhibited their cardiac muscle, which results in the abruption of blood transfer. That deters the activeness of your dog. If this symptom is observed for more than a day already, it is time to take your dog to the vet.

If diarrhea or vomiting accompanies the said symptom, then immediate treatment is necessary. You don’t have to wait for 24 hours before you take your dog to the vet. It might be that the toxin that has invaded their system has a lethal dosage. A quick response could save your dog’s life.

Conclusion

Learning the signs and symptoms of dog poisoning is necessary. Since we are one step late from preventing the poison from taking place in their body, we just have to compensate for it. If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, you have to give them proper treatment. At this time, you should give your trust to your local vet as they are the ones who know exactly what to do to help your pup.

About the Author

Hi, I’m Lucy Sheppard, founder of Petsinlive– A pets product review website that assists you in making better and well-informed decisions.

CALL IN YOUR ORDER 800.889.8967